Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Money does not make you classy

Its no secret that I grew up in a very impoverished home. My mother did not not allow us to act poor however. I had manners. I dressed neatly. I crossed my legs at the ankle. I was even taught dinning etiquette.

As a young girl, those small things made me feel a little less poor. It was as if I was a refugee in my own life. Like I was a princess who had to flee her country when the bad guys took over and I had to keep hiding my identity.

In my 20's, post college, I was able to socialize with the crowd that had been brought up in a privileged home because I had those skills.

My children are growing up in a middle-class home. I will not raise children who lack class just because of the social class they were born into. My daughter will cross her legs at the ankle, my son will open doors for women, and they will know which fork is a salad fork and to bring a gift to the hostess.


No comments: